Thursday, 25 August 2011

Are you a scrapbooker?

At the Rainton Meadows Papercraft show recently I realised that a lot of people would like to start scrapbooking but don't know where to start.  I have known this for a while but I think it was brought home to me at the show, especially when I heard people commenting on the layouts I had on show and saying things like 'Oh they are lovely but I couldn't do that' and 'I wouldn't know where to start as I have so many photographs'.  I think this is probably typical of a lot of people and therefore they don't get started with scrapbooking at all!

I thought I would do a little ad-hoc survey amongst the bloggers who may be reading this today.  How many people want to try scrapbooking and haven't actually got around to doing so?  Why?  How many people would like to start scrapbooking but don't know where to start?  Are there crafters out there who would like to join a scrapbook club or crop but don't know where to start looking? 

Another question I would like to ask is - if you are already a scrapbooker - how did you start?  What type of craft clubs/crops are there in your area?  Do you attend any craft clubs/crops?  If you do, what do you actually do when you are there?

It would be interesting to get some feedback on this question and if you leave a comment on this post I will enter your name into the blog candy draw (rules apply).  Thank you.

5 comments:

  1. This is a really good idea Ann. I started scrapbooking when my ex husband poassed away, I made a memory album for my daughter , once i started i was hooked and ive never stopped with 23 albums under my belt now.
    Im afraid I dont attend any clubs now I do however have friends who come to me to scrapbook , so im not always alone.
    Its the perfect hobby, its like being able to run away and not actually have to leave home, and its great therepy , helps to relax you and helps to forget all your troubles, I would recommend it to anyone. Only one problem with it.........once you start you cant stop, well i cant anyway :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I done my first scrapbook when I was a child, just a simple scrapbook with my certificates and special birthday cards in as I was (and still am) obsessed with keeping things organised and wanted to look after 'my things' that I cherish. I didn't start again until about 6 years ago when returning from a holiday and realised I didn't want to just put the photos and bits 'n' bobs in a box out of the way, so started scrapbooking again.

    I have never been to a club. When my step grandson emigrated to Australia 3 years ago (he was 8 then) I made him a memory book of his time spent with us and I am told by his mum that he keeps it beside his bed and looks at it most nights. That makes me feel happy.

    Yes, definitely would recommend people to take this great hobby up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite spooky you should ask really - I have been toying with the idea for a while and just bought myself a little scrapbook as I have a box of photos that never get seen and I thought I'd have a go.

    I am a cardmaker so I have some supplies to start off with... I've chosen the photographs I want to use...and the papers... but not confident enough to stick it all together!

    Unfortunately I'm not sure I would be able to attend a club but I look for tips and layouts etc on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone for your replies. Samantha - have you tried using a sketch? From 5th September the Design Team will be designing using sketches, so pop back then and get some inspiration. Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great! Look forward to seeing what you all make :)
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete