Saturday, 15 October 2011

Decisions, decisions!


I have used the Making Memories paper trimmer for a number of years now, for personal use and for teaching scrapbooking classes, as I love the way you can cut your papers to the size you want relatively easily.  At the moment I have a bit of a dilemma in that one of (the 2) paper trimmers I have is 'out of action' in that the plastic ruler that runs across the trimmer has snapped.

This may be years of use or simply inexperienced hands using the trimmer incorrectly (or a combination of both I suspect).  Anyhow, I have contacted Making Memories (in the U.S.A.) to find a replacement.  They do replacement plastic rulers for this cutter at $1.99 but the postage to the UK is something like $39.  They have offered (most kindly) to find a solution to shipping this to me in the UK without me paying this shipping cost.  In the meantime, I need to find a replacement that is not too costly, cuts 12"x12" papers and card and isn't too fragile for inexperienced hands to use.  Any suggestions?

Your suggestions and comments would be appreciated.  Your comment will get you an entry into the blog candy draw if you qualify.  Thank you and good luck in the draw.

7 comments:

  1. Ouch , thats hefty postage isnt it? Im afraid I use a knife to trim , I dont seem to be able to get away with paper trimmers but I will certainly keep my ears open for you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shame about your trimmer Ann, it's never good when a much loved tool dies!
    I use a purple cows trimmer - I love it. It fits all your criteria, except the price :S I got mine on offer so it wasn't too bad, so it might be worth having a hunt around?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch the postage is eye watering it's awful when something you use all the time breaks, I can help you I have a avery guillotine that I got cheaper due to a water damaged box, it's a brilliant cutter but really big.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry forgot the t I meant to say can't help you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry Ann can't help you with your Making Memories trimmer, I use the woodware paper trimmer, I've had no problems with it and have been using it for approx 6 years, never changed the blade, only the strip where the blade cuts along...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a pain! I hope they can get it to you more cheaply! I mainly use a knife when crafting, however at work I use a Staples own brand guillotine, the type you pull the blade down on, it's very sturdy and not too badly priced. Hope you get sorted soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was very lucky to have the Purple Cows duo guillotine and paper trimmer as a Christmas present a couple of years ago. I use the guillotine just about every day and it's brilliant but I haven't quite mastered the trimmer yet. Not sure on the price although I think you can buy the bits separately these days. Good luck with the quest!

    ReplyDelete