Wednesday, 31 October 2012

Happy Halloween

Halloween is big business now compared to years ago when I was young!  Then, all we were concerned with was scooping out our turnips, complete with proper lighted candle and frightening ourselves silly listening to ghost stories.

Nowadays, children (and parents) make a big thing of Halloween, celebrating by having Halloween parties, dressing up, scooping out Pumpkins (whatever happened to the turnips???) and generally celebrating a day that may have (according to some scholars) began as a pagan festival.

According to Wikipedia, Halloween - also known as All Hallow's Eve is celebrated yearly on 31st October, the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows.  Typical festive Halloween activities include trick-or-treating, carving pumpkins into Jack-o'-lanterns, lighting bonfires, apple bobbing, visiting haunted attractions, playing pranks, telling scary stories and watching horror films.

Whatever you get up to on Halloween - have a good one.  Leave me a comment to say how (or if) you celebrate Halloween and if you are a follower of this blog, I will enter your name into the blog candy draw.  The draw takes place tomorrow - best of luck everyone.

11 comments:

  1. Happy Halloween! it's all about the candy here. The kids will go trick or treating and then I'll eat candy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Haloween Miriam. The kids do that here as well - only mine are too big now! Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Hauntings. I had my party saturday. Any excuse for a party! For me it's more pumpkins than ghosts and skulls and more about being thankful for produce from the garden and good friends and family than whether the veil between here and there is at it's thinnest. I do like this time of year. Turning towards winter, thinking about hibernating till it all warms up again. Hope you get all treats and no tricks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Halloween and I've already went out for Halloween and this is the 1st year I won't be decorating my porch so strange
    Have fun trick or treating

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would think that a pumpkin is very slightly easier to scoop out than a turnip? A little 'softer'.

    I'm afraid I don't like the Halloween stuff which has arrived from the US - I was living in Southern California when my two sons were little and I would never let them go out begging for junk candy - we'd stay in, watch a movie and eat some 'decent' chocolate :)

    Sorry to be a party-pooper - it's only my own opinion and I certainly wouldn't try to discourage anyone who wanted to 'trick or treat'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for your comments. I have bought sweets (candy if you are American) for the little kids who will knock on the door but I am not too keen on answering the door to someone who is 6ft tall, dressed all in black with a scream mask - scares me!!! I will send hubby after 7.00 p.m.! Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  7. We don't celebrate halloween on our family. I used to when I was young, years and years ago but since have stopped.
    Hugs, Rosalee

    ReplyDelete
  8. We used to do games and things on Bonfire Night, not Halloween (ducking for apples and all that kind of thing)... I have to admit I've enjoyed the Halloween crafting, which I didn't think I'd get into. And there will be trick or treaters round, so I'm ready for them!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by Rosalee and Alison. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi a turnip and candle is what we had as kids trying to scare each other lols xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Janice - perhaps it was a 'Northern' thing with the turnip. I think the pumpkins made an appearance much later (after my girls were grown up). Thanks for stopping by. Ann x

    ReplyDelete